[jbpm-dev] [jBPM Development] - Re: Creating domain specific nodes into a jbpm-editor

barteljan do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Sep 9 11:49:55 EDT 2009

Hi :-),

At first thank you for your detailed comments about this task,
i'm trying to answer every point, please alert me if I miss one :-).

@add extensibility to jpdl schema
Althought I like the idea of an extendable schema  for jpdl,I suspect this task is a bit of to much for our purpose, extending the schema means extending jpdl, which itself means extending the jpdl-core-engine. Since we want to use jbpm because of it's current stability, a modification of the engine itself should be avoided, because it holds a great danger for nasty bugs, which could be avoided by the "custom node approach". (Second approach noted by Ronald). I would prefer this approach because it looks like the easiest way to achieve extendebility. I would change my opinion if there are good arguments for doing that ;).

@BPMN2
I have to read more about it ....
although I would propose to use an already existing node-type (java or custom),
a new "service"-node would be  acceptable for me.

@specific node fuctionality
I'm not quite shure what you mean with "generic", although we need a domain specific representation of our nodes (a stupid User should be able to differentiate two different "action-types" by sight ), It would be absolutly sufficient if those two different "action-types"  are representated by the same node-type on xml-level.
And at last I suppose that there should be a generic approach for adding such action-types.

@eclipse development
My knowledge of eclipse-plugin-developement is quite limited,
I know the concept of an extension point, but I wouldn't be able to define one,
but this can be changed ;).

@timeline
We are calculating with about two days for jbpm-developement per week,
starting with evaluating the basics and targets in september.
Active programming could start in october, hoping about first eyecatchers in november and a nearly working solution in december ....
But that's only a rough calculation .... more time could be afforded if it is needed ....

Thank you for your comments and your time,

Jan

P.S. I will configure and co the svn in the next days and cry for your help if I can't manage that :-)

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4254224#4254224

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4254224