[jbpm-dev] jBPM5 Request for Comments - feedback

Sebastian Schneider schneider at dvz.fh-aachen.de
Sat Apr 17 13:08:22 EDT 2010

Hello Mauricio,

Am 17.04.2010 19:01, schrieb Mauricio Salatino:
> Sebastian, good to know that.
> Drools right now it's a full Business Logic integration Platform and it
> includes a complete business process engine called Drools Flow.
> The idea of the Drools platform is to be completely integrated to be
> able to use both: rules and processes to model business situations. The
> big difference in my opinion are the API and a less process centric
> vision in Drools Flow. Because the idea is to have an API focused in
> business knowledge (rules, processes, and every other business asset
> that helps us to implement business solutions).
>
> That's my two cents.

I am getting the idea and there's nothing wrong about it from my point
of view - for the right use cases. IMHO there should be separation of
the APIs for processes and rules. Imagine use cases where you just want
a process engine with a small footprint but you don't need Drools
because your own application takes the place of it (to make business
decisions) or in situations where you want or you have to use a
different external rules engine and repository - maybe even an
enterprise-wide repository.

So I tend to a modular design with a strong integration of jBPM and
Drools to get you you going fast if you want to use them both but to
leave the choice to the user.

Best regards
Sebastian

--