[jbpm-dev] jBPM5 Request for Comments

Kris Verlaenen kverlaen at redhat.com
Mon Apr 19 16:09:51 EDT 2010

Xu Huisheng wrote:
> Hi Kris:
>   I am glad to see there is still a plan for jBPM. But I can't find
> more details in this roadmap. It is just design a overall view for
> jBPM5, but there is still many problem in jBPM 4. If there is a plan
> to maintain the current version of jBPM 4.x, it will very helpful to us.
See my reply to Sebastian:
" This however does not necessarily mean that jBPM 4.x is "finished".
We know there are some issues that need to be dealt with (where some of
them have even been solved in the latest snapshot code already), and
we're also looking into that.  Community involvement here is definitely
welcome, so please drop me a message if you want to help out."

>   In the jBPM 5 archetecture figure, there is just a 'Core Process
> Engine' but no more details for the PVM and jPDL. Will we drop the
> support of jPDL and turn to the BPMN and drools?
We have been participating in the creation of the BPMN2 specification,
and we believe it is a big step forward.  Therefore, we want to target
our future development to BPMN2.  Having a standardized language instead
of a proprietary one is almost always a good thing (quality,
interoperability, etc.).  And because BPMN2 also allows you to easily
extend the language if necessary, it still gives us the flexibility we
need as well.

So yes, we are looking at moving towards BPMN2 as the main process
execution language and moving away from proprietary languages as jPDL
and RuleFlow.  Especially since we believe that BPMN2 will be able to
support the same (process language) features as jPDL, but we welcome
feedback on this.  Not sure why you are saying "BPMN and drools" though?
Drools Flow is in exactly the same situation, as that also had a
proprietary language, but will also move to BPMN2.

> Because I just find 'jBPM (3.x) convert plan' here. So I think whether
> we could make a more clearly details for the PVM and jPDL4?
The reason is that jBPM 3.x is currently the officially supported
version.  As part of this service, we will provide a migration path from
jBPM 3.x to jBPM5.  This however does not there will be no migration
path for jBPM4.  We hope and believe that, with some help from the
community, we can extend that to also support jBPM 4.x to jBPM5 migration.

Kris