[jbpm-dev] jbpm 5 feedback

Sebastian Schneider schneider at dvz.fh-aachen.de
Wed May 12 12:01:36 EDT 2010

Hello Andrea!

Am 12.05.2010 10:00, schrieb Andrea Zoppello:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm a jpm 3.X version and i want ( if possible )  give my two cents
> about what i would like to expect from JBPM Release 5.

jBPM 3.x itself speaking? I feel honored. ;)

> 1) Ability to use JPM within an OSGi container, so i would like to have
> bundles for engine and to have jbpm services exposed as OSGi services.

This is something Tom has been aiming for with jBPM 4.x as well. I think
it's a good thing but it does not have that much priority in my eyes but
maybe it's good to keep this in mind to ease a later implementation.

> 2) A better separation between the engine and the persistence layer. In
> my opinion the > jbpm3.X code is too much coupled with hibernate, i'd really like to have
> a separation to be able for example to use JPA or ( for example a NoSQL database ) for persistence.

I partly agree. In the future jBPM should be more independent of the
underlying database layer and I think JPA is the way to go. But IMHO
extending this to document-oriented databases is not possible and does
not make any sense. Document-oriented databases serve a speecial
purpose: serving documents which are schema-free and being able to
retrieve them very quickly. When it comes to jBPM or a process engine in
general you don't work schema-free but you have a big amount of
homogeneous data to deal with: process instances, task lists etc.

Regards
Sebastian

--
Sebastian Schneider