[jbpm-dev] Features and jBPM 5

Brad Davis brad.davis at amentra.com
Fri May 28 14:46:29 EDT 2010

Notification
==============
By making this a more generic interface, it will be interesting to see  what the community does.  We have one client who is using a 3rd party tool to notify workers through Text to Speech through a headset driven by jBPM.  Pretty cool.
Other notifications I can think of off the top of my head: Jabber.

Audit Logging
I think we could just pass all Audit Logs into a queue.  However people want to process from that Topic is their business ;)  We are doing this at one client with a large throughput.  The benefit is that their secondary system which processes from the Queue can be responsible for the CPU needed to persist and also display [through a custom UI] the audit logs. OOTB, we could offer a listener to the Topic which can persist to the DB.  Another which may listen to the topic could be responsible for analytics such as throughput.  As the system scales, since these listeners would be standalone, people could move them off the default instance for performance sake.

Web Editor
I think by providing an advanced, rich Eclipse development environment, we will come out ahead for sure.  Sure, it might look nice for presentations; but the minute there is a product bakeoff at a large customer, I imagine that will not stand up.

That said, a lot of our customers do ask if Workflows can be imported from Visio -- which the Business users generally are using.  Maybe they are targeting it for this purpose.  Regardless, developers always will have to get involved.  Also, I have never seen this as a deal-breaker when it comes to a company adopting the technology = low on the feature list in my opinion.

Brad