[jbpm-dev] web service support in jbpm5

Maciej Swiderski mswiders at redhat.com
Wed Aug 1 04:50:10 EDT 2012

More comments inline :)

On 31.07.2012 21:04, Mauricio Salatino wrote:
> Comments inline:
>
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 7:52 PM, Maciej Swiderski <mswiders at redhat.com
> <mailto:mswiders at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks Mauricio, comments inline
>
>     Maciej
>

>     On 31.07.2012 19 <tel:31.07.2012%2019>:45, Mauricio Salatino wrote:
>>     Hi Maciej,
>>     Kudos for the post! It's a really nice example.
>>     I have a couple of questions about parameters to the invocation
>>     and how we can process the results for the invocation.
>>     What are the limitations for such constructs?
>     First limitation, in general is that WSDL is stored in process
>     definition which makes moving between environments (dev, test, qa,
>     prod) bit difficult but from the other hand it alows tooling to
>     build up interface and operation definitions. Comments welcome
>     here :)
>
> Fair enough, I know that is a common limitation, everything will be
> generated dynamically and that's how the interaction will work. We
> should look on how to integrate the CXF endpoint provided by camel to
> the current handler implementation. Using camel you can build your
> transformation routes.
I think that we should introduce new handler for camel integration as
camel can do much more than just web services. This handler is simple
service task that can invoke soap operations.

>>     Most of the solutions out there provide XPATH for mapping
>>     different pieces of information, and that's definitely something
>>     that will be required if the user wants to integrate against
>>     legacy web services.
>     Difference here is that for invocation handler expect that it has
>     correct message to be sent out. What you had in mind could be
>     probably covered by assign/transformation on data association
>     level in bpmn2 model. But if you think that is not enough we could
>     elaborate bit more to see what are the use cases.
>
> I would love to avoid adding information to the process model about
> more complex data mappings or external services.
> A simple use case for this would be, we have 3 process variables
> inside our process scope, we want to call a service sending a variable
> of type Car and a variable called Person to an external service, can
> those two variables be mapped to an external service
> which receives both parameters? the same for the results. We get a
> type, but we need a way to map to our process variables.
With service task you can have only single parameter - message - so
operations should be single (document based) services. But of course you
could grab those two variables from process and assign them third one
(the message) using data inputs and data association. In general it is
work item handler so it accepts parameters and will do whatever is
needed with them.