[jbpm-dev] Simplifying Oryx Designer using resolution of global variable and parameter mapping at runtime

Tihomir Surdilovic tsurdilo at redhat.com
Thu Aug 16 06:20:38 EDT 2012

There are a number of ideas floating around on this - and yes data
mapping within a BPMN2 process is probably now one of the hardest things
to set up and maintain.

a) Have ability to map data outputs of a task to data inputs of the
connected tasks(s) with a single button click
b) Ability to visualize the data flow of the process
c) Notifications of dependency errors when users decide to remove a
process var, globals, imports, etc
d) Ability to "copy" existing data elements such as
variables/globals/imports/etc from an already existing process or a
process template..this has been asked in the community already and we
are looking at it.

jBPM follows the BPMN2 specification for data setup and mapping closely
which is a good thing as it does not introduce any wrappers around it
(you might see other tools use extensions elements for this heavily). I
don't think writing wrappers is a good idea, however making working with
data as simple and intuitive as possible for users is very important so
any ideas/thoughts/contributions are very welcome :)

Jean-Jacques, If you want to jump on IRC and I'd be happy to talk to you
in detail about all of this as well.

Thanks.
Tihomir