[jbpm-dev] Human Task Module API and DataStructures Proposed changes

Mauricio Salatino salaboy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 07:07:19 EDT 2012

Hi Marco,
Thank you very much for your feedback, it really helps to move this forward
in the right direction.
Some comments inline:

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 4:00 AM, Marco Rietveld <mrietvel at redhat.com> wrote:

>  Hi Mauricio, Maciej,
>
> +1 on configuration.
>
> +5 for " facade for process interactions that hides some of the steps and
> expose very simple API to interact with."
> In essence, we don't want the process engine (or anything else) to trust
> the HT component at all -- and vice versa.
>
> The APIs exposed should be that. Like the current TaskService interface,
only operations. I would like to know that we are on the same page about
the interfaces. I'm interested to expose similar interfaces to the one
exposed by the specification, which are extremely similar to the
TaskService interface. On top of that I would like to promote some
decoupling which enable us to provide different implementations for
features which are required to integrate against a Content Repository, or
something similar.

> Maurcio, I like the API's that you defined in the second document
> (HumanTaskAPIAndDataStructuresProposal), but I'm missing how they would be
> used with the current architecture. Do you have idea's about that?
> (Actually, see the 3rd para after this, for more ideas).
>
> Also, I think that the local human task service needs to be pulled away
> from the current code base: at the moment, the local human task service is
> essentially a facade that is based on an infrastructure that was not
> designed for it's use that way. In fact, the local human task service *was
> initially designed as a demo* -- but has grown far beyond that. Luckily,
> it has an API which means we can change the underlying implementation.
>
> The idea of the interfaces that I've created and described in the document
is that. Behind those interfaces we can implement a very straight forward
infrastructure like for example: Interface -> Implementation -> Database.
As mentioned in another email, the Task*Service Services should be as
stateless and as simple as possible.

> In short, I think the use case for the local task service is sufficiently
> different from the rest of the use cases (standalone/hornetq, etc.) that it
> should have it's own infrastructure -- almost down to the task functional
> level. The main reason for this is that persistence (especially tx's) are a
> big part of the use case for the local task service -- but the tx logic and
> request handling in human-task wasn't really written with that in mind. I
> would like to consider rewriting the code so that persistence and request
> handling could be even more pluggable than they are (depending on local or
> standalone task service).

On top of the very simple local implementation we can build the transport
layers or reuse an existing framework like camel/switchyard. If we are in
an EE environment we can instantiate the Local/Simple configuration and
plug the transports provided by the container. One of the advantage of CDI
is that it will make our life easier from the testing perspective and also
from the pluggeablity and configuration perspective.

> Separating the pure human task code out from the other concerns (request
> handling, persistence) will probably also help to create the API's that you
> define.

The APIs that I've propose doesn't care about those topics, that's one of
the main points. In some way the structures that the API is proposing
affects how the persistence entities will look like, but I want to have
clear interfaces that exposes the semantic of the work that we want to do
with the module: Human Interactions.

> Lastly, +10 on the API's -- but I really do want them to be Interfaces.
> Where possible, I'd really like to make sure that the underlying classes
> are not accessible to the user and that there's a real focus on creating an
> interface that satisfies a User's need -- instead of simply creating
> functionality for the user and exposing it.
>
> They are all interfaces, we cannot force to the users to use one
implementation. I'm pushing CDI forward to guarantee standards ways for the
user to plug their own implementation if they want.

I will be adding more details to the wiki page today to clarify some of the
points that were mentioned in this thread.
Unfortunately, I will be side tracked tomorrow with the form builder, but
as soon as I can get back with this topic I will try to upload a very
simple PoC to show how the interfaces will look like and
the responsibility of each service.

Oh yeah, +1 on not forcing users to use the software a particular way: they
> always end up surprising you and using it another way. The more ways you
> can expose an API the better..
>
> Regards,
> Marco

Cheers