[jbpm-dev] [JBPM 5.x] service task repository

Kris Verlaenen kverlaen at redhat.com
Tue Mar 13 15:29:19 EDT 2012

I don't think it's about one or the other, I believe both are valid options and have their pros and cons.  The current approach, using a simple directory structure (on disk or over HTTP) was selected as the best option for the prototype as it is very easy to set up and maintain (you don't need to run Guvnor to have a service repo). Note that guvnor can be exposed as a file system using WebDAV, so you can use the same approach already but store the services on Guvnor to take benefit of versioning, import/export in Eclipse, etc.

Longer-term, Guvnor is being extended to act as a repository for all different types of data, and having a section for service tasks would definitely make sense.  As part of making the management of the life cycle more flexible, we're looking at supporting configurable life cycles (for example using a process), in which case this could also be leveraged to specify how new service tasks could be added to the repository, etc.  But that is probably a longer-term feature.

Kris