[jbpm-dev] human task exceptions

Mauricio Salatino salaboy at gmail.com
Thu May 10 15:20:20 EDT 2012

Hi guys,
I was reviewing the Human Task Module and more specifically the HornetQ
implementation.
I was writing some tests to check the behavior after a logical failure in
the server side and I reach a point where some design questions appear:

The following line tries to start a task which doesn't exist in the server:

client.start(3, "");

Where client is -> TaskService.

This leads to a Runtime Exception in the client side with a clear message:
"Command OperationRequest faild due to No Task with ID 3 was found!. Please
contact task server administrator."  <-- not sure about the administrator
part

I understand that we are throwing a Runtime Exception to be able to not
declare the exception inside the TaskService interface, but...
For real implementations the user will be forced to do the following:

      try{
            client.start(3, "");
        }catch(Exception e){
              assertEquals("Command OperationRequest faild due to No Task
with ID 3 was found!. Please contact task server administrator.",
e.getMessage());
              // or notify the UI about the error using that message.
        }
No matter the method that the user calls in the client UIs the try/catch
block will need to be included in order to not break the app.
So my question is: we already have the TaskException class which extends
RuntimeException, there are not too many implementations, but we surely can
add
the TaskPersistence exception, logical exceptions, etc.
In my perspective adding the exception to both interfaces (TaskService and
AsyncTaskService) will provide a more clear approach to the users that in
the end will
need to add the try catch no matter why.

In my opinion, this is just the first step of providing our clients a way
to notify the errors to their UIs.

Looking forward for your comments and feedback!

Cheers

 - Co-Founder @ http://www.jbug.com.ar

 - Salatino "Salaboy" Mauricio -