[jbpm-dev] Forking/Extending jbpm-designer for VDML and CMMN stencilsets

Ampie Barnard ampieb at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 05:37:18 EDT 2013

Hi jBPM devs,

I need to implement a web based modeling environment, initially just to
illustrate VDML and CMMN to some developers on another open source project.
However, there is a possibility that it may eventually be used and
distributed.

I am impressed with what you guys have done with the original Oryx
codebase, and would much rather start from jBPM-designer than from the
current (dead) Oryx codebase. However, I am not sure which approach to take
extending jBPM designer and have the following questions:

1. I noticed the IDiagramProfile interface that makes stencilsets nicely
configurable from the serverside, but is it feasible yet to introduce an
entirely separately deployed (different jar/war)  stencilset? I suspect
that the introduction of additional CDI beans would at least require
packaging inside the existing jBPM-designer war, even if I can deploy the
stencilset itself in a separate war, but I may be wrong.

2. If I cannot develop my extensions as a separate deployment, I will
probably have to resort to introducing my extensions to jBPM-designer on my
own fork, but does the jBPM-designer's license allow such re-packaging?

Kind Regards

Ampie Barnard