[jopr-dev] request for comments - timeline view

Joseph Marques jmarques at redhat.com
Sun Feb 15 15:15:37 EST 2009

John Mazzitelli wrote:
> I like the metric display range on the summary :) The aggregations of
> the different counts is nice too (are those counts relative to the
> display range? So, if I see "5 operations executed" and my display
> range is 24 hours, does that mean 5 executions in the last 24 hours?
yes, the quick counts reflect the measurement display range, which means
it also supports going back in time and viewing quick count historical
data (not just "last X units" relative ranges).  if we end up keeping
this summary tab, i'd go in and fix the timeline display to match, and
thus display items on the timeline that happened within that display
range as well.

> I really do hate all these tabs in here. On my monitor here at home,
> its not a wide-screen. Those of you with wide-screen monitors probably
> don't see a problem, but with a normal monitor, it doesn't look great.
the dual monitors i do my primary development on are standard aspect
ratio (though, my resolution is 1600x1200).  yes, there are a lot of
tabs, but i'm less worried about the quantity of data shown than i am
about the placement of data and how intuitive things would be to find.
case in point: microsoft word is a "busy" application with it's ten or
so default menus, and the 40 or so icons on the two default toolbars,
but having access to all of those things at a glance because of they
properly named and have somewhat intuitive icons to identity what they
do helps tremendously.  i could see us in the future perhaps even
replacing the text of "monitor", "events", "configuration",
"operations", "alerts", "content" with more easily recognizable icons
altogether (or maybe that would be a user option [icon+text vs.
icon-only vs. text-only]).

> But - if we are to add a new tab, I do like the idea of a summary tab.
> That should probably be the landing tab when selecting a new resource
> from the Browse Resources (or any link when moving from a page without
> a resource in context).
i would agree, it would be an ideal place to place links that don't
explicitly navigate to one of the other tabs via the "mica" icons.