[jopr-dev] Plugin Dependencies

mazz at redhat.com mazz at redhat.com
Thu Jul 30 22:41:39 EDT 2009

It sounds like what you are doing is correct. If you have a plugin "A" and it has some classes that you want available to plugin "B", then plugin "B"'s descriptor should have a <depends> tag on plugin "A":

   <plugin name="B" ...>
      <depends plugin="A" useClasses="true" />
   </plugin>

What this does is put A's plugin classloader as the parent to B's plugin classloader. You do not have to do anything else other than put that <depends> in your descriptor (no need to put the plugin jar in your plugin jar's lib directory).

FYI: The useClasses, if not defined, is inferred on the last <depends> tag listed in the descriptor. If you only have one <depends> tag, its useClasses is assumed true if its not specified.

BTW: recently, alot of work has gone into trunk that performs more classloading "stuff". See: http://jopr.org/confluence/display/RHQ/Plugin+Dependencies+and+Class+Loaders