[jsfunit-dev] Re: JSFUnit demo

Stan Silvert ssilvert at redhat.com
Fri Jun 29 12:08:35 EDT 2007

Jonathan Prindiville wrote:
> Stan Silvert wrote:
>> Just thought I should check in and see how things are going.
> Not too bad. As a way to get familiar with some of the components that
> you wanted to go into the demo, I've been trying to cobble a simple IRC
> client out of Rich Faces UI components, client-side JavaScript,
> server-side Java (I picked up an IRC lib called Martyr [1]), and Seam
> Remoting.
>
>  > Is there anything you need from me?
> Any ideas as to the size/complexity of this demo? Timeframe?

I'm not looking for complexity, I'm looking for coverage.  For
RichFaces, AJAX4JSF, and Seam, I think we should start with some app
that covers the most widely-used features of each.  As we go along, we
use JSFUnit to do test-driven development of the app.

After you get familiar with everything, I'll leave it up to you to
determine what the widely-used features are.  Guessing works.  But
asking the community or the developers might be better.  It just depends
on how much time you want to spend on that phase.

BTW, I doubt that Seam Remoting falls into the "widely used" category,
but I could be wrong about that.

So I think that should narrow it down for these three technologies.
I'll also leave it to you to determine how much time it will take.  This
is the kind of project that could last a few months to a few years
depending on how much you want to throw in.  :-)

> Also: someone mentioned that you don't do IRC and that I should try to
> goad you into it. This is me goading. :P

My problem with IRC is that it creates pockets of unshared knowledge.
Discussions should be as open as possible, which is why I prefer email
lists.  With email lists, subscribers never miss a message and the
audience tends to be broader, which leads to more informed decisions.

The only advantage I see to IRC is that it is a faster medium.  But
email is almost always "fast enough".

I could be convinced otherwise, but that's my current thinking.

Stan

P.S. If you really want/need a quick, private conversation with me, I'm
on AIM and Skype.
AIM: stansilver (note the missing "t")
Skype: stansilvert