[jsfunit-dev] Beta 3 release Tuesday

Stan Silvert ssilvert at redhat.com
Mon Aug 25 13:01:10 EDT 2008

The way I see it is that the RichFaces support is something we provide
to get users over the hump.  That is, they could still theoretically
test using JSFUnit and the plain HtmlUnit API.  But they would have to
do their own research into how richfaces generates names and which bit
of HTML is the true target of the clicks.  So an API is needed to cover
up all this complexity and make it so everyone doesn't have to reinvent
the wheel.

The other assumption I've been working under when designing the client
side API is that the developer should be able to write the test by
looking at the JSP or Facelets markup.  He shouldn't have to run the
application and look at the HTML.  We're not quite there yet for
RichFaces but it's definitely where we want to be.

I'm not sure if that's what you are looking for in an answer.

Any API we come up with to make life easier for the developer will be
greatly appreciated by the community.  And we can always change it.  I
still consider JSFUnit to be in the early stages of its development.  We
are still learning how to do client/server-combined (acrylic box)
testing.  So I'm not worried about having to support an imperfect API
indefinitely.  We shouldn't be afraid to try things out.  (Not that you
ever were - just saying...)

Stan