[jsr-314-open] required attributes in composite components

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 2 14:34:52 EDT 2009

Makes sense to me. One of the things I have always been uneasy about with
Facelets is the amorphous aspect of the tags. So when it comes to defining a
real component, I think we absolutely want the component author to be able
to decide whether to make the tag strict or not.

Would a more generic attribute like strict="true" make more sense just in
case we want to enforce other restrictions?

-Dan

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 7:56 AM, Kito Mann <kito.mann at virtua.com> wrote:

> So, here's one other thing that came up at JSFDays -- the fact that
> composite components (like Facelet compositions) don't restrict which
> attributes can be used. This is fine for Facelet compositions, but since
> composite components can define specific attributes, it makes sense to give
> component authors the ability to restrict page authors to those attributes.
>
> I think the easiest way to handle this from a component author's
> perspective would be to add an attribute to the <component:interface> tag:
>
> <component:interface restrictAttributes="true">
>   <component:attribute name="name" required="true"/>
>   <component:attribute name="size"/>
> </component:interface>
>
> So, in this case, this component would _only_ accept the name and size
> attributes, and the runtime would throw an exception if another attribute
> were used. An IDE could also complain when someone tried to use a different
> attribute.
>
> Thoughts?
> ---
> Kito D. Mann -- Author, JavaServer Faces in Action
> http://twitter.com/kito99  http://twitter.com/jsfcentral
> http://www.virtua.com - JSF/Java EE consulting, training, and mentoring
> http://www.JSFCentral.com - JavaServer Faces FAQ, news, and info
> +1 203-404-4848 x3
>
> Public JSF Course in NYC (April 21st-24th):
> http://www.regonline.com/jsf-course

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.