[jsr-314-open] [Fwd: [NEW] <f:ajax> and <f:validateBean> - consistent wrapping solution needed?]

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 3 15:15:10 EDT 2009

>> Dan -
>>
>> I think that you are most familiar with the current f:validateBean
>> implementation.  Assuming that you are okay with the proposal, would you be
>> willing to take a look at what we do for f:ajax and maybe sync up with Ryan
>> to discuss what it would take to convert this over to the f:ajax strategy?
>> The f:ajax approach is fairly simple:
>>
>> - When we encounter f:ajax, we create an AjaxBehavior and push it onto a
>> stack.
>> - When we encounter a ClientBehaviorHolder component that can accept the
>> AjaxBehavior instance, we create/configure a new AjaxBehavior instance and
>> attach it to the ClientBehaviorHolder
>> - When we reach the end of the f:ajax tag, we pop the AjaxBehavior stack.

Absolutely. I can tell you that implementation the <f:validateBean> as a
nested tag was a pain to developer. It's much simpler to use the wrapping
approach because you know what you have to apply going into the subtree. We
spent the time on the nested tag approach because we were under the
impression that it would be more straightforward for the developer. But
clearly there are implications with that solution that cannot be ignored and
you are right in wanting to align it with <f:ajax>.

Ryan, let me know if you need a hand.

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.