[jsr-314-open] JavaScript disabled support [Was: Outcome of JSFDays discussions]

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 3 15:42:56 EDT 2009

> BTW, an important question that we should consider is whether JSF itself
> should provide a facility for detecting whether client-side scripting is
> enabled.  This could be very useful - ie. could allow us to solve
> long-standing problems.  For example, if we have a way to detect when
> JavaScript is disabled, seems like we could provide an <h:commandLink> that
> works when JavaScript is disabled fairly easily (fall back to an <input
> type="submit">).

I like this idea. Currently this is a wheel that every application (that
cares about it) has to reinvent. +1 for providing real-world solutions in
Java EE.

> As for how to go about detecting whether JavaScript is disabled, I was
> thinking we would do something along these lines:
>
> - FormRenderer spits out a <script> that dynamically adds a hidden field
> with some well known name.
> - On postback, we check to see whether this hidden field is present
> - If the hidden field is present, we know that scripting is enabled.  Yay.
> - If the hidden field is not present, we assume that scripting is disabled.
>
> Of course, this means that we cannot detect whether JavaScript is enabled
> until the first postback is performed.  Is there some way to get around
> this?  Martin or Jeremy - I know you guys have provided solutions for this
> sort of thing - please let jump in if you have any suggestions.

What we are most interested in is hearing about feedback from the community.
We don't want a solution that people think is naive. If we do it, let's
provide a solution that most people are willing to accept. Seems obviously,
but obvious hasn't worked in the past.

http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/Dan

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.