[jsr-314-open] [ADMIN] Proposal Faces Managed Bean Annotations For Containers that implement Servlet 2.5 and Beyond

Simon Lessard Simon_Lessard at DMR.CA
Sat Apr 4 15:27:33 EDT 2009

Hi all,

Call me an old geezer with resistance to change, but I do have some worries even then ;). Assuming we drop @ManagedBean and @ManagedProperty, we'll still support XML defined managed beans while someone could argue that this is also overlapping with JSR-299's beans.xml, no? On the other hand, it does save some processing time at deployment and development time (to create the annotation scanner) to not have them.

So if I understand correctly, we're simply arguing over:
1. Provide one less feature in JSF 2.0 out-of-the-box, but suggesting JSR-299 alternative. If the users want it badly then they can wait for it to be released (hopefully before JEE 6 and not dependent on any part of it other than JSF 2.0).

2. Do some more work on our side that will be useless for JSR-299 users (and most likely Spring-JSF users as well for that matter) and marginaly useful for the other.

Do I get it all right? If so, I guess I could retract myself, it's not such a big deal.

Regards,

~ Simon

________________________________

Sent: Sat 4/4/2009 2:42 PM
To: JSR-314-OPEN at JCP.ORG
Subject: Re: [jsr-314-open] [ADMIN] Proposal Faces Managed Bean Annotations For Containers that implement Servlet 2.5 and Beyond

Simon et. al.

I'm specifically avoiding (for the obvious reason that I am extremely
biased) taking a stance here, however I would like to emphasize, that,
although the JSR-299 spec is tied to Java EE, there are
implementations that run (or intend to run) in pretty much any
environment:

* the RI currently runs in JBoss, GlassFish, Tomcat and plain Java SE
* I know from talking to people from the Apache OpenWebBeans team that
they have similar goals in terms of targets (and have actually been
concentrating on servlet containers for now).

--
Pete Muir
http://www.seamframework.org <http://www.seamframework.org/>