[jsr-314-open] Adding handling of CDATA blocks in ResponseWriter

Jim Driscoll Jim.Driscoll at SUN.COM
Tue Apr 7 17:41:11 EDT 2009

On 4/7/09 2:10 PM, Alexandr Smirnov wrote:
> Great! JSF is gradually going to get full XML support. I've offered
> sometimes to switch into standard SAX handler instead of proprietary
> writer, because Java has a wide range of tools for XML processing. It
> would be better to move ResponseWriter into SAX ContentHandler and
> complimentary interfaces, or at least define all necessary methods to
> use simple wrapper for XML based libraries.

Something easily pluggable would probably be nice for 2.1 (though I'd
imagine that the ResponseWriterWrapper could be used for that task now,
if you had a mind to do it).

The CDATA code was added simply because there was no other way to
coordinate between the impl and the api that didn't involve convoluted
code, but it's easy to imagine a need for more full support - in which
case, being able to plug something in cleanly would serve that need best
(though for many applications, the simple interface of ResponseWriter
will probably continue to be sufficient, so I would argue against
deprecating it).

Jim