[jsr-314-open] Groovy support

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 13 18:04:57 EDT 2009

>> I would hope that in the development stage that this is going to be
>> available in implementations. I'm trying to think why it needs to be defined
>> in the spec. Does it need to be?
>>

> Not necessarily. It's just frustrating that none of the deployment features
> can be adequately defined in the spec (i.e. Groovy, and reloading
> artifacts). The JSR says:
>
> Eliminate the "deployment step". All the artifacts that comprise a JSF
> application can be modified while the application is running. This will
> bring the responsiveness people have been used to with iterative JSP
> development to the JSF developer. One design idea for this is to allow JSF
> artifacts to be authored in Script.
>
> As far as I can tell, the only parts of this we've actually covered are (1)
> reloading of VDL pages, and (2) allowing components to be authored in
> Script. So, an implementation can only support (1) and (2), and consequently
> still require restarts for changes to faces-config.xml or other artifacts
> (such as managed beans). That's not much better than JSF 1.2.

In that case, I think we should just have a general reload flag (or just say
that the reload flag is tied to the stage) and have a list of what should be
reloadable in the spec. Who the heck wouldn't want Facelets templates to be
reloaded in the development stage? There should probably be a universal scan
time which has a default value for the development stage and can be
specified explicitly if someone wants reloading in the producation stage
(for whatever reason). Get rid of the Facelets-specific reload interval.

http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/Dan

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.