[jsr-314-open] ADMIN: Final list of issues for JSF 2.0 and actions for each

Martin Marinschek mmarinschek at APACHE.ORG
Sun Apr 19 00:16:15 EDT 2009

> The whitespace problem is a spec issue if we choose to solve it by
> specifying in the component configuration whether whitespace should be
> skipped or treated as a component. For instance, when whitespace is between
> links inside of a paragraph tag, it should be preserved. However, when it is
> between links inside of an <h:panelGrid>, it should not be preserved. That
> needs to be controlled by the UIPanelGrid component (possibly).

Wow, that sounds like a fairly complex case-distinction you want to
build in the very last minute. The other issues which have been
deferred seem a lot easier to build for me.

> I'm fine to defer, but mark my word, the community is going to perceive the
> lingering of this issue as sloopy.

Honestly, I didn't even consciously know this was an issue. After
rethinking, I realize now that I do had the feeling once that Facelets
swallows some whitespace, but that only hit me in one single location
in a large app - and all I needed to do was add an <h:outputText/> at
this location. Furthermore, no one in the community ever brought this
up to me. And I  receive a lot of feedback from the community.

So IMHO, calling the EG "sloppy" for not working around a Facelets-Bug
(if it even is a bug, cause you are correctly saying that in some
cases it is ok that it swallows the whitespace) is somewhat too much
for me.

regards,

Martin