[jsr-314-open] <h:dataTable> binding vs. ui:repeat

Martin Marinschek mmarinschek at apache.org
Tue Aug 18 02:08:31 EDT 2009

Hi Ed,

> Which I still don't understand.  Can you please explain explicitly?

I sent a mail to Kin-Man that we can't pass parameters from the
framework to the method-expression. So, we can now do:

#{bb.action(myparam)}

to call a method with signature:

public String action(String myparam) {}

but we can not do:

#{bb.valueChangeListener(myparam)}

to call a method with signature:

public void valueChangeListener(ValueChangeEvent ev, String myparam) {}

only with signature:

public void valueChangeListener(String myparam) {}

so what we loose is the ValueChangeEvent, which was provided by the
JSF framework as a parameter to the invoke-call in the
Method-Expression instance (we will only receive the parsed
parameters).

I already got mail by Kin-Man - he said this won't be included, we are too late.

This effectively means we cannot use the new EL functionality to solve
the problem that was discussed in this thread (using
valueChangeListeners in a dataTable), and therefore, even though we
can get rid of the f:setPropertyActionListener, we would still need an
f:setPropertyValueChangeListener - a pity.

regards,

Martin