[jsr-314-open] [AjaxBehaviorEventAttribute] why must it be a literal?

Andy Schwartz andy.schwartz at oracle.com
Thu Aug 27 09:38:30 EDT 2009

Hi Ed -

Ed Burns wrote:
> Which begs the question: do we need to re-introduce immediate evaluation
> for EL expressions?  In other words, do we bring back $?

I don't believe that this is necessary.  Facelets of course does not
support the concept of "immediate" expressions - ie. the Facelets engine
itself does not evaluate EL expressions.  I don't believe that we want
to change this.  Instead, we should simply follow the pattern that is
already used by other tags that evaluate EL expressions during
tag/handler execution, such as the JSTL tags.  That is, we should allow
the Facelets engine to create a (deferred) ValueExpression that happens
to be evaluated by the Behavior handler when the handler is applied,
similar to the way the c:forEach "items" attribute is handled today.

Andy