[jsr-314-open] Need guidance: invalid assumptions in design of resource versioning feature

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 15:27:49 EDT 2009

> Options to resolve the issue
> --------------------------------------
>
> 1.  Update the specification to state that versioned resources are only
>    supported when they are included as resources under /resources
>
> 2.  Update the specification to state that only classpath resources
>    included in the web application will be searched.  This means that
>    resources installed to the server classpath will not be considered.
>
>    Implementations could then explode the resources found within the
>    JAR files included in the application to a temporary directory.  The
>    classpath searching algorithm would then search this temporary
>    directory instead.  Doing this for server classpath resources may be
>    impossible depending on the container.

I think that option #2 is sufficient for now. Frankly I think that resources
should be included with a web application. It is a conservative enough
approach to go with for now until we have use cases for expanding the scope
of the search.

> ACTION: Please choose one of the two options above or suggest another.
> Silence implies consent with option 2.  Please reply in a timely
> fashion.

I don't like the idea that silence is a vote. Silence is no vote. If you
want to vote, you have to make a sound or gesture. We can then decide how
many votes we need for various issues to proceed. Like I said in a previous
e-mail, minor stuff should only need 3 - 4 votes, whereas larger changes
perhaps need a couple more. We should have a policy posted on the wiki.

Registered Linux User #231597

http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/Dan