[jsr-314-open] [ajax] My AI on PartialResponseWriter.

Jim Driscoll Jim.Driscoll at Sun.COM
Thu Dec 10 16:35:29 EST 2009

On 12/10/09 12:18 PM, Ken Paulsen wrote:
> Jim Driscoll wrote:
>> On 12/9/09 4:06 PM, Ken Paulsen wrote:
>>> 4b - Why not add them to the queue described in 4a instead of throwing
>>> an exception (of course detect loops)?
>>
>> I thought of that, several reasons not to:
>>
>> 1) There's a good use case to allow nesting one deep. There's no
>> similar use case for multiple levels of depth. (If you have one, let
>> me know).

> Was that use case to call the other listed methods during "startUpdate"?

Yes.

> If you update component X which doing so causes component Y to be
> updated? What if Y effects Z and so on?

What do you mean, exactly, by X causes Y to be updated?  What methods
will be called, and by whom?  Trying to understand the proposed use case.

> You list startUpdate as one of
> the ones that could go an additional level deep... so doesn't that imply
> that it could go 'n' levels deep? Or perhaps I don't understand correctly.

Nope, in my proposal, one level deep means one level deep - I'd just set
a counter in the implementation, and fail if it goes past two.
Otherwise we'd have to account for ordering issues.  (Though if we have
to, we can, it just gets harder to explain.)

Jim