[jsr-314-open] [community] Our good friend strikes again:

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 02:28:42 EST 2009

I read through it quickly, still planning on a deeper analysis later.

One thing I have to say is "view actions". I wanted them badly in JSF 2.0
and now Lincoln has done a great job of presenting to a good portion of this
expert group why they are useful (in his PrettyFaces talk). Once again, we
see it in this article.

So, Lincoln and I will touch base on a proposal to complete the view
metadata processing on initial request to include view action support. I've
been meaning to provide a patch for this, but I'm glad that I've got Lincoln
to work with since he has some other ideas beyond what I was thinking.
(action item)

Second, conditional validation just keeps biting us. I realize graph
validation is complex, but we really need to just consider the use case that
this guy is bring up (which is the same use case I hear over and over) and
just try to think how we would solve it if we were developing the app, then
try to reduce that complexity. Bean Validation is excellent for field-level
validation, but it really doesn't deal with the "if this, then that" or
"this before that" situation. I proposed one solution in the JSF 2 and
beyond slides using the postValidate event, but really that isn't much
prettier.

-Dan