[jsr-314-open] Fwd: [jsf2.next] Proposal to support new semantic HTML5 tags

Jim Driscoll Jim.Driscoll at Sun.COM
Sun Dec 13 02:08:59 EST 2009

For the most part, no.  The exceptions appear to be noted in the article
(but, I haven't reviewed the HTML5 spec - it ironically causes Firefox
to crash whenever I try).

So instead of saying <div class="nav">, you instead say <nav>

However, it turns out that there's serious problems  with using these
tags, at least according to John Resig (I attended a talk he gave on
Friday).

While the HTML5 shiv referenced below will allow these tags to work in
IE in the basic case, there are still two problems:  1) they won't nest,
and 2) innerHtml won't work with these tags.

So, given those problems, I withdraw the proposal.  Since these problems
occur in IE8, it looks like these tags may be as far as 5 years away
from being usable.  Tragic.

In the unlikely event that someone figures out how to work around this,
we can always go back to trying to support it.

Jim