[jsr-314-open] [jsf2next] might as well face it, Facelets is XML

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 12:13:37 EST 2009

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 4:56 AM, Martin Marinschek
<mmarinschek at apache.org>wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> > I think he might have just been too lazy (or bored) to rip it out. The
> > pass-through is a different argument from jsfc. I think jsfc is
> completely
> > and utterly useless. I see no value in it. I do see the value in the
> > pass-through for quick stuff. But even then, all that is being passed
> > through is the xml and doctype declaration, and the CDATA, all which
> happen
> > to be causing us issues with IE. (Remember, I'm not objecting to passing
> raw
> > HTML tags straight through, that is why Facelets is so successful. I'm
> > talking more about the document wrappers).
>
> no, I don't think so. Tapestry is built completely around this idea,
> so there is definitely people out there who think there is some value
> in this - not that I personally think it makes sense if you start
> using more sophisticated components. For the simple components, it has
> some merits for a fairly large user-base (which is not the JSF
> community).
>

> That said, I would much rather have a nice IDE supported WYSIWYG
> feature that works for all the component sets than this preview
> support.
>
> In any case, disabling this is not necessary for what you have in mind
> - and I definitely support your suggestion. Just saying that we should
> still leave the other option open as well, and we will need to do it
> for backwards compatibility anyways.

I'll admit I'm being a bit overly dramatic to drive the point home. jsfc
does show okay in a demo and trivial case, so I could probably live with it
staying there (if we can confirm that it is officially part of JSF 2.0, as
David pointed out). But David brought up the point that I didn't get to
(thanks David) that once you start breaking up your page into templates, it
really because useless, and to some degree it is misleading to teach jsfc.
In general, we could just go with a soft change in that we recommend that
you don't use it (because you will eventually realize you can't use it) but
leave it in there for those that like it.

Registered Linux User #231597