[jsr-314-open] [jsf2next] might as well face it, Facelets is XML

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 12:16:24 EST 2009

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 11:28 AM, David Geary <clarity.training at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/12/13 Dan Allen <dan.j.allen at gmail.com>
>

>> I'd even like to get rid of the ui:composition there and perhaps have
>> something like "cc:component" or "cc:tag" as the wrapper.
>>
>> We can also leverage the default namespace to cut out the unnecessary
>> namespace prefixes:
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>> <component xmlns="jsf:cc">
>>    <interface>
>>       <attribute name="name" required="true"/>
>>    </interface>
>>    <implementation>
>>       Hello, #{cc.attr.name}
>>    </implementation>
>> </component>
>>
>> Notice that I'm not really changing all that much in JSF to get to this
>> point. It's really just a shift in thinking (and recommending).
>>

> It's also a major shift in usability for page authors, so this proposal
> gets a hearty +1 from me. My original proposal to simplify the composite
> namespace was just the tip of the iceberg--thanks Dan, for carrying that
> proposal to its logical conclusion. I'd love to see this in the next
> maintenance release.

Yeah!

One thing to keep in mind with the default namespace is that if you want to
use HTML, you would have to prefix it in the case above (which might be
strange to some people):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<component xmlns="jsf:cc" xmlns:html="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
   <interface>
      <attribute name="name" required="true"/>
   </interface>
   <implementation>
      Hello, <html:strong>#{cc.attr.name}</html:strong>
   </implementation>
</component>

-Dan

p.s. Isn't it strange every time you see 1999/xhtml? ;)

Registered Linux User #231597