[jsr-314-open] [2.0.MR1-699-ViewParamHint] implicit navigation hint includeViewParams should be faces-include-view-params

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 14:38:03 EST 2009

Same story as issue 698. I noticed this during a presentation, and haven't
remembered to submit until now. I should have caught this before final
draft.

When using implicit navigation, you can pass flags through the query string
that
alter the behavior of the navigation. The first is a redirect flag, the
second
is a hint to include view parameters in the outgoing query string.

- faces-redirect
- includeViewParams

As you can see, there are two problems with the includeViewParams flag.
First,
it uses camel case instead of hyphen delimiters between words and it is not
prefixed with faces-.

When this feature was being discussed, there was a concern that the hints
would
collide with query string parameters used by the application. As a result, a
prefix was added to the redirect hint, making it faces-redirect. However,
includeViewParams was not updated.

Here's the following change that needs to happen in the spec:

includeViewParams ==> faces-include-view-params

And in use:

/entry?faces-redirect=true&faces-include-view-params=true

In the long run, we need to find a cleaner (perhaps type-safe) way of
indicating
an implicit navigation. Using the query string really isn't great. Perhaps
under
the covers the implicit navigation is communicated this way, but we provide
Java API that generates this in toString()

return new Navigation("entry", true, true);

Registered Linux User #231597