[jsr-314-open] [ADMIN] Target milestones in issuetracker record

Ed Burns Ed.Burns at Sun.COM
Fri Dec 18 13:47:46 EST 2009

EB> I've added milestones for 2.1 - 2.4.  I've deleted 2.next.

DA> It was fun while it lasted (I say that jokingly because it we were
DA> having a fun play on words with JSF 2.next ;))

DA> What about 2.0.MR1? Could you add that for the errors we need to have fixed
DA> for the MR?

As promised I went to the Sun Java EE Architects email list and asked
what was Sun's position on naming.  Here it is.  This is the convention
Sun uses, it's not a JCP mandate.

8<------------------------------------------

We apply version numbers to all three of the JCP-defined artifacts -
specification document, reference implementation (RI), and technology
compatibility kit (TCK). At the completion of a JCP update to a
technology, all three artifacts will have the same version number, in
the single dot major.minor format.

Between JCP updates, each of these artifacts may also be updated,
following these rules:

    * Specification document

      Updates to a specification document that do not change the meaning
    of the specification are called "errata". (See JCP Processes for
    details.) An errata update to a specification document is indicated
    by including a "Rev level" after the specification version number.

      For example, if an initial specification numbered "1.0" is updated
    by an errata, the updated document would be given a number of "1.0
    Rev a". A subsequent errata update would be "1.0 Rev b".

      Note that since an errata typically does not require a change to
    the RI or TCK, a Rev level is never applied to those artifacts.

    * Reference Implementation

      A change to the RI that is not associated with a change to the API
    (for example, a bug fix, performance improvement, new feature, etc.)
    is indicated by using a dot-dot number of the form major.minor.micro
    or a patch number of the form major.minor.micro_patch. The major and
    minor numbers correspond to the version of the API that is
    implemented.

To summarize...

For a spec of version X.Y, the spec document will be version "X.Y" for
the initial release or "X.Y Rev L", where "L" is a letter nominally
starting with "a" and incrementing as more errata are approved via the
JCP Maintenance Review process.

For a spec of version X.Y, the RI will be "X.Y" or "X.Y.Z", where "Z" is
a number starting with 1 and incrementing as more RI bug fixes are
made. ("X.Y.0" should be considered equivalent to "X.Y".) These changes
are outside the JCP process.

As Dan requested, I have made 2.0 Rev a the default target milestone.

Which brings me to the issue captains.  I'll check the status of that
volunteer effort as a separate message.

Ed