[jsr-314-open] [NEW - MR] Add ExpressionFactory to "11.4.6 Delegating Implementation Support"

Pete Muir pmuir at redhat.com
Tue Jul 28 09:00:51 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I would like to propose adding ExpressionFactory to the list of
classes required to support the decorator pattern. This is to aid
integration with CDI (JSR-299) implementations, which are require a
callback when EL expression evaluation completes; the necessary hook
into EL is via the ExpressionFactory. Adding ExpressionFactory to this
list would make implemetors have to jump through fewer hoops to obtain
the callback [1].

I propose this change to the MR so it can be used in the EE6 platform,
the target for JSR-299.

Changes to spec required
-----------------------------------

* Add ExpressionFactory to the list of classes required to support the
decorator pattern
* Add ExpressionFactoryWrapper class to support the decorator pattern

Changes to implementation required

* Add support for exposing and using wrapped ExpressionFactory

Impact on users and frameworks

Users can now:

* call application.setExpressionFactory(new
WebBeansExpressionFactory(application.getExpressionFactory());
* configure a wrapping expression factory in faces-config.xml
    <application>

<expressionFactory>org.jboss.webbeans.el.WebBeansExpressionFactory</
expressionFactory>
    </application>

[1] Currently this is possible by wrapping the application via the
application factory and overriding the getExpressionFactory method