[jsr-314-open] [NEW] <f:ajax> and <f:validateBean> - consistent wrapping solution needed?

Andy Schwartz andy.schwartz at ORACLE.COM
Tue Mar 10 14:50:16 EDT 2009

Hi Pete -

Pete Muir wrote On 3/10/2009 2:15 PM ET:
> Actually, this isn't right. It would look like
>
> <h:panelGroup>
>  <!-- Turn on bean validation for the two input texts -->
>      <f:validateBean validationGroups="Group1, Group2"/>
>      <h:inputText value="foo"/>
>      <h:inputText value="bar"/>
> </h:panelGroup>
>
> Which would enable validation for the whole panel group.
>
> Having looked back at the previous messages, I think we went for the
> nested element enables validation for the panel group on your advice
> that this would unify us with f:ajax...
>
> But this seems to be missing from the final Ajax design?

The EG rejected the "nested <f:ajax> enables Ajax for the entire subtree
rooted at the parent" approach as several people found it confusing.
See the discussion in the "AjaxBehavior inheritance strategy" thread
which starts on 14 Nov.  For those who have access to the old EG
archives, the thread starts here:

http://tinyurl.com/dndt5v

We ended up going with the solution that you recommended here:

http://tinyurl.com/bjo97c

Looking back at this thread, it seems like there was general agreement
to go with the "wrapping" approach, but apologies if we failed to make
our change in direction clear.

Andy