[jsr-314-open] Facelets: XHTML vs. XML

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 8 02:54:46 EDT 2009

Andy, what you are saying is dead on. Facelets needs to be more true to XML.
After all, one of the main points Jacob empashized when he created Facelets
was that non-XML wasn't going to be tolerated. But as we can see, Facelets
isn't true to XML. I do think we need to start encouraging the use of a more
strict mode. I would open this up as "full XML support in Facelets" and
maybe make it an issue for JSF 2.1. I'm not quite sure we can tackle all the
issues in a maintaince release and be 100% satisified. We could do some
obvious stuff in a maintaince release though.

One comment I want to add to this discussion is that I have long believed we
should provide a h:doctype tag to output the HTML/XHTML doctype. Right now,
the way you get a doctype is to include it at the top of the Facelets page,
and as Andy mentioned, it is passed through to the browser. But what if you
want to output the doctype dynamically or the document in template form
needs a different doctype than what needs to be rendered (you edit in strict
but output to transitional)? You can't.

http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/Dan

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.