[jsr-314-open] Ajax rendering of components among compositions?

David Geary clarity.training at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 23 13:26:27 EDT 2009

I have a view composed of a template, and a handful of compositions. In one
of those compositions, I want to trigger an ajax request with f:ajax, and I
want to render a component in a different composition (but ultimately in the
same page). That doesn't seem to work.

To be a little more explicit, I have a menu, implemented with a composition,
from which I launch an ajax request. When the request returns, I want to
render a single component in another composition. However, when I try to do
that, JSF complains that the component id cannot be found, when in fact, the
component is in the page, and is even in the same naming container.

I suspect that f:ajax is looking for the component id before the page is
fully constructed, and therefore only sees components in the same
composition.

This should work, correct? If I cannot effectively use ajax across
compositions in the same page, then that makes templating a lot less
attractive.

Thanks,

david