[jsr-314-open] Ajax rendering of components among compositions?

David Geary clarity.training at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 24 19:50:24 EDT 2009

2009/5/24 Dan Allen <dan.j.allen at gmail.com>

>> All I've done is cut the zoom prompt and menu from the original file, and
>> pasted it into zoomLevelControl.xhtml.
>>
>> However, now when I change the zoom level menu, I get an error:
>>
>>     <f:ajax> contains an unknown id 'image'
>

> According to the AjaxBehaviorRenderer:
>
> /**
>   * Attempt to find the component assuming the ID is relative to the
>   * nearest naming container.  If not found, then search for the component
>   * using an absolute component expression.
>   */
>
> My guess is that the components within the composite component are
> considered to be within a naming container, isolating them from your image
> component. The strange part, though, is that the composite component is not
> acting like a naming container as I observed. To fix your problem w/ the
> current implementation, you have to use an absolute id to the image
> component (I would guess). But yeah, this is a very confusing situation for
> developers.

Even that doesn't seem to work. I loaded the page and copied the absolute
id, like this:

  <f:ajax
render="form:j_id1186681689_16ef8569:0:j_id1186681689_16ef8513:j_id-1105909415_41ead6fe:image"/>

And I receive this ugliness for my trouble:

<f:ajax> contains an unknown id
'form:j_id1186681689_16ef8569:0:j_id1186681689_16ef8513:j_id-1105909415_41ead6fe:image'

Frankly, for JSF 2.1, I would like to see us go to an XPath-like syntax (or
> jQuery) to find components because component IDs in JSF just plain suck.

Yup, I agree wholeheartedly, but we need to make it easy to do Ajax
rendering across composite components for JSF 2.0. IMO, composite components
are by far the single most kickass feature of JSF 2, and if they're
crippled, we're gonna get some bad press.

david