[jsr-314-open] [C036-ElInResources] Vote favors DefaultToOptOut

Ed Burns Ed.Burns at Sun.COM
Sun Oct 4 00:14:23 EDT 2009

From: Imre Osswald <io at mx.jevelopers.com>

I don't think the evaluation should be restricted to resources only.
Even if it might be confusing that the expressions will/might only be
evaluated once (especially in production mode), there is great value
in being able to use "CSS-Vars" to customize the CSS, for example per
deployment.
But if every EL is evaluated, then we might need a way to switch
evaluation off. One example would be:  .sillyExample:before { content:
"#{might.even.be.used.by.prototype}" };

As I don't see a big performance problem with parsing the css-
resouces, because of the caching by the browser and by jsf, I would
like to suggest to have the "switch" to turn evaluation on/off inside
of the files themselves. Possible solutions could be @-rules like:
@ELEvaluation "on" / "off";  or probably better "annotation-comments" /
* @ELEvalution on */
These could even be used in JS-files, where referencing relative
resources is not uncommon, and will therefore need resource-evaluation
too.

As for the defaults: I think ELEvaluationInCSSOnly (= "on") is a
sensible default, with context options to switch it globally on/off.
Especially until some sort of switch finds its way into the
specification.

Imre