[jsr-314-open] revisiting the JSR-314 openness policy

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 18:13:09 EDT 2009

> Taking a look at the following info from the jcp site:
>
> http://jcp.org/en/introduction/intro#boards
>
> We have access to a 3 discussion boards:
>
>     * jsr-xxx-public: this is a board to which any registered user can
>> post. Some Expert Groups may choose to use these boards for their primary
>> communication on the JSR's development. As an alternative to viewing the
>> long list of all boards, you can also get to a given JSR's public board by
>> clicking the "jsr-xxx-public" link on the JSR's summary page.
>>    * jsr-xxx-observers: this is a board to which any registered user may
>> request to be added, to which the JSR's Spec Lead and experts are
>> automatically subscribed. Some Expert Groups may choose to use these boards
>> for their primary communication on the JSR's development, while still others
>> may use it as a mechanism for providing updates to the particularly
>> interested members of the community. To request to be added to a JSR's
>> observer board, use the Observers board request form to ask to be added to
>> the board.
>>    * jsr-xxx-eg: this is a board that is private to the Specification
>> Lead(s) and Expert Group members for that JSR. Some Expert Groups may choose
>> to use these boards for their primary communication on the JSR's
>> development, using the others as mechanisms for community updates.
>>

> Seems like we would want to perform the following mapping
>
> jsr-314-comments is replaced by jsr-314-public.

+1

> jsr-314-open is replaced by jsr-314-observers.

+1

> jsr-314-eg stays the same (which is not really in use at this point).

kill it or map it to jsr-314-observers

> Note that there is some degree of email support available:
>
>  Using the boards via e-mail
>> Many Expert Groups wish to conduct their communications primarily through
>> e-mail. Both the observers and EG-private boards also generate e-mail
>> messages. This allows the people using those boards to choose to use either
>> the board's web interface, or just to interact with the board via e-mail,
>> where it functions like a standard mailing list, or some combination of the
>> two. For instance, if you are on the Expert Group for JSR 500, you could
>> send mail to jsr-500-eg at jcp.org. This message would be distributed to
>> everyone else on the Expert Group via e-mail, as well as being entered in
>> the discussion board for future reference.
>>

> But apparently no email love for jsr-314-public.  Roger - any chance you
> could raise this limitation with your jcp contact?  Ideally we would like
> email access to the public forum.

It's hard to decipher what this implies. The exclusion of jsr-314-public in
this description gives no indication of whether it can or cannot support the
e-mail gateway. Surely it must be able to since it's all running the same
software.

Also, would everyone be open to putting the old archives of the JSR-314 EG
list (before it became JSR-314 open) into the jsr-314-observers forum?

Registered Linux User #231597