[jsr-314-open] [C036-ElInResources] CLOSED:

Ed Burns Ed.Burns at Sun.COM
Thu Oct 8 10:04:41 EDT 2009

AS> I think processing of EL expressions should  not be part of
AS> Resource#getInputStream, at least, not for generic resource.
AS> It would be better to move implementation into resource Renderer, and
AS> provide some meta-information which should be used for particular
AS> resource. That would clear divide responsibility between Resource object
AS> that should only load content from library, and Renderer that knows how
AS> to send that content to a client.

I understand the seductive pull of the "resource renderer" concept here
but I must point out that we tried to design the resource handler system
that way intially and threw it out in favor of our current, more flat,
approach.  Rather than have per-content-type Renderers, we just went
with a system that made it easy to decorate the ResourceHandler and
override createResource() to take action based on the request content
type.  Because my interest in this issue *right now* is to have
something put into the ChangeLog that applies to 2.0, I don't want to
entertain this concept any more on this thread.

LB> ACTION: Please vote +1 or -1 on OPTION ELEvaluatedInCSSOnly

LB> +1

JD> +1

JL> +1

TG> +1

Since there appears to be support for this option, this is the one I
will codify in the "proposed change" section of the ChangeLog.  Although
I like Imre's suggestion of using a CSS at-rule to tell the system to
scan for EL or not, I think it's overkill considering these files are
cached by the system anyway.  Threfore, the text in
Resource.getInputStream() will include

The implementation must ensure that EL expressions that are included in
CSS resources are evaluated as the stream is being read.  This enables
CSS resources to refer to other CSS resources in resource libraries, for
example: @import url(#resource['this:layout.css']}); Users must be aware
of the implications of caching when including EL expressions in this
way.

Ed