[jsr-314-open] Coercion in the EL

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 16:31:58 EDT 2009

In truth, I'd don't really understand why the EL spec is not allowing the
null value through. Unless it detects that a primitive value is required by
the assignment, it has no right trying to interpret a null value as anything
other than null. In that sense, it has nothing to do with expected types,
especially when the value is null.

-Dan

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Martin Marinschek
<mmarinschek at apache.org>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I don't know if we discussed this already, but today the coercion
> issue in the EL made me loose a few hours again. I've had this before,
> but seemingly forgot about it - time to follow up on this.
>
> The issue in short: collapsed="#{bb.collapsed}"
>
> Boolean getCollapsed() {
> return null;
> }
>
> will lead to a value of "false" for the collapsed attribute if
> java.lang.Boolean is set as the expected type of the corresponding
> value-expression, according to the EL spec. Hrmmpf.
>
> You can read more in this blog-entry:
> http://www.irian.at/blog/blogid/unifiedElCoercion/#unifiedElCoercion
>
> Are we going to say that for JSF 2.0 Facelets we will never set the
> expected-type? Or are existing EL implementations not following the
> spec and this is not a problem in reality (however, at least the one
> that I use does follow the spec)?
>
> regards,
>
> Martin
>
> --