[jsr-314-open] Coercion in the EL

Martin Marinschek mmarinschek at apache.org
Fri Oct 16 04:49:51 EDT 2009

>> Right, I agree with you. I'm saying that this is silly behavior.
>> Either it should leave null alone or choose to convert it only *if*
>> the expected-type is a primitive (in this case a primitive boolean).
>
> +1

I can certainly do so - however, I don't think that I will get any
response amounting to this being fixed.

Do you guys think we should fix this in the JSF implementations, by
passing in java.lang.Object to the underlying EL expression, and doing
the coercion ourselves? We - most of the time - wrap the
value-expression in a Facelets TagValueExpression anyways, so we could
certainly do this! If the RI team agrees, I can certainly give word
out to the MyFaces team discussing if that is reasonable to us as
well.

regards,

Martin