[jsr-314-open] [OT] faces-config.xml names

Andy Schwartz andy.schwartz at oracle.com
Tue Oct 20 14:48:13 EDT 2009

Gang -

The spec defines the name element as:

>             <xsd:element name="name"
>                          type="javaee:java-identifierType"
>                          minOccurs="0"
>                          maxOccurs="1">

javaee:java-identifierType is:

> <xsd:complexType name="java-identifierType">
>     <xsd:annotation>
>       <xsd:documentation>
>
>     The java-identifierType defines a Java identifier.
>     The users of this type should further verify that
>     the content does not contain Java reserved keywords.
>
>       </xsd:documentation>
>     </xsd:annotation>
>     <xsd:simpleContent>
>       <xsd:restriction base="j2ee:string">
>     <xsd:pattern value="($|_|\p{L})(\p{L}|\p{Nd}|_|$)*"/>
>       </xsd:restriction>
>     </xsd:simpleContent>
>   </xsd:complexType>

My regular expression parsing skills are not what they should be, but I
believe that this is unintentionally overly strict.  The desired
semantics are to match the XML NMTOKEN type:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-xml-2e-20000814.html#NT-Nmtoken

Which allows '.' (and other characters too, like '-', ':').

This is going to require a loosening of the spec - in particular, in the
XSD for faces-config.xml.  Can we find some way to address this?
Perhaps as a spec errata that allows implementations to accept qualified
ids?

Andy