[jsr-314-open] <h:dataTable> binding vs. ui:repeat

Andy Schwartz andy.schwartz at oracle.com
Fri Sep 4 15:56:19 EDT 2009

Ed Burns wrote:

> MM> Hi Lincoln,
>
>>> Unless I'm mistaken, ui:repeat is not a component and therefore cannot
>>> be bound to a backing bean,
>>>

> MM> I thought it was - and just checked, it derives from UIComponentBase.
> MM> Does the binding attribute not work for you?
>
> Yes, but it's implementation specific and not in the
> javax.faces.component package.

Ah, interesting.  In Trinidad we have a common base class for components
that iterate over a collection:

http://myfaces.apache.org/trinidad/trinidad-api/apidocs/org/apache/myfaces/trinidad/component/UIXCollection.html

This is used as the base for both UIXIterator (Trinidad equivalent of
ui:repeat) and UIXTable (Trinidad equivalent for UIData).  Perhaps for
2.1 we should consider surfacing a similar base class/contract, along
with a public UIRepeat component.

Andy