[jsr-314-open] Autoupdate / always render

Ken Paulsen Ken.Paulsen at Sun.COM
Mon Sep 14 11:48:13 EDT 2009

I don't know the context/history... but want to voice some reservation
regarding this "feature".

I hope we have a way of skipping this for cases such as:

1) If my Ajax response is not going to be handled by JSF2's standard
JS.  This is obvious... but I thought I'd state it anyway.

2) If I am making several Ajax requests in a short amount of time (i.e.
immediately after the page is loaded), I would obviously not want to
re-render all the auto-update components several times.

3) If I require a fast, light-weight request (i.e. auto-complete text box).

"Auto-update" seems like a great "push" feature, or polling feature that
is separate from other Ajax requests.  If I understand it correctly,
having an "always render" component seems a little excessive.

Thanks!

Ken