[jsr-314-open] revisiting the JSR-314 openness policy

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 14:16:46 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 7:00 AM, Pete Muir <pmuir at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 18 Sep 2009, at 00:09, Dan Allen wrote:
>
>  Our first choice for request #1 is to allow all subscribed members of the
>> jsr-314-open list to post, with moderation of a person's inaugural post
>> (webbeans-dev uses this approach, for instance). The second choice would be
>> to have a separate list open to the community. In either case, both lists
>> should satisfy request #2.
>>

> My preference would be for there to be two email lists, both with public,
> non-password-protected, archives. The first is the EG list. The second is
> the a discussion list. A regular member of the EG can post unmoderated to
> either list. Any subscriber can post to the discussion list. If a member of
> the community is an expert on a particular sub-topic, we should pull them
> into the EG list, using moderation to allow their posts through.

After considering the three alternatives presented here, I'm in favor of
Pete's suggestion. It gives the community a place to speak more freely,
without having to knock at the EG's door directly, so to speak.

When we identify a community expert, we should say that we will "invite"
them to the EG list, as hopefully they will see it as a priviledge and
honor.

The important point, though, is that a person does not necessarily have to
be on the EG to be allowed to post to the EG list. Otherwise, we will just
have too many people trying to be on the EG for no other reason than to
post.

Registered Linux User #231597