[jsr-314-open] ViewScoped severe bug or expected behavior?

Werner Punz werner.punz at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 06:23:06 EST 2010

Hi I ran into following issue while doing some testing on MyFaces and after
testing it on Mojarra I noticed that Mojarra behaves the same. So I am not
sure if this is a bug or expected behavior. Hence I am posting it here.

Following usecase.
a Page with a managed bean as page controller which is ViewScoped.

Now the page keeps some data which is serialized per definition on the
scope.
An action is triggered from the page which then issues an implicit
navigation case onto itself.

Now what happens on both implementations is, that the ViewScoped bean is
dropped and the data is lost.

This is easily reproducable with the case in the attachments.
As you can see the value is initially set to another value by the
postConstruct and then once the action is triggered it is reset to the
initial value, although it should
have been restored to the last value which was present before issuing the
action onto itself.

I could reproduce this behavior on MyFaces 2.0.3 and on Mojarra. Any ideas
if this is a bug or expected behavior? Because from a logical point of view
a nav case should not retire the view scope if it hits the same page again
no matter if a redirect is in between if it is implicit or explicit or if it
is just
a null restore case.

Werner