[jsr-314-open] Slashes in resource library names?

Jason Lee jason at steeplesoft.com
Mon Feb 1 11:07:03 EST 2010

On 2/1/10 9:13 AM, Kito Mann wrote:
> There was a discussion about nested resource library names last year.
> I would say to search the archives, but I don't know if that's
> possible. Anyway, here was the outcome:
>
>     Ed:
>
>     Yes, you are correct that the resource naming scheme prevents nested
>     resource libraries. Nested resource libraries were not on the list of
>     requirements when we designed this feature back in November of
>     2007.  We
>     will not accept this requirement change at this point.
>

> Dan:
>
> So the spec needs to at least be clear that it's not permitted and
> suggest the alternative. Several people reading it didn't understand
> what to do in this case.
>
> IMHO, it's a shame that we can't use the nested structure. Seems like
> a pretty obvious convention instead of configuration thing. I don't
> know how that got missed in the design process.
It would be interesting to find out why that was left out.  Was it
simply an oversight, or are there technical reasons for disallowing
that? On the surface, it sounds like it would be easy to implement and
support, but I've not thought too deeply on the topic.  Maybe that's
something we should fix, if we can, for 2.1.

--
Jason Lee, SCJP
President, Oklahoma City Java Users Group