[jsr-314-open] [717-ComponentMetadata] (was: DRY and form with JSF 2)

Ed Burns Ed.Burns at Sun.COM
Thu Jan 7 17:31:32 EST 2010

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Dan Allen <dan.j.allen at gmail.com> wrote:

DA> +1. Exactly what I was thinking.
DA>
DA> It appears we have two correlated issues here. I've found a need for the
DA> backreference in the past. It can be linked at build time. Of course,
DA> programmatic access would need to be aware of it if the tree is modified in
DA> a way that breaks the reference. That should be mentioned in the issue
DA> report, not necessarily solved here.

MM> FWIW, MyFaces originally implemented a solution for this, but then
MM> dropped it from the IMPL and moved it to Tomahawk, to remain
MM> compatible.

It seems to me that this is a request for a general purpose component
metadata solution.  Right now we have this in the spec:

3.6.2.1 Composite Component Metadata

  In the current version of the specification, only composite
  UIComponents must have component metadata.  It is possible that future
  versions of the specification will broaden this requiremnt so that all
  UIComponents must have metadata.

I've opened issue 717 for this, and added this specific usecase.  I'll
continue to scan for this topic in my traversal of old messages, but
just in case I miss something, please add additional requirements to the
issue.

Ed