[jsr-314-open] [Fwd: CDI and JSF Phase Listeners]

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 12:38:28 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Roger Kitain <Roger.Kitain at sun.com> wrote:

> It would be a nice feature to be able to have CDI injection in Phase
> Listeners also, as any Servlet/JSF/CDI integration is always welcome
> where applicable

This is actually a more general requirement (which we may have discussing in
passing). Any user-defined class instance that JSF creates should be
classified as a components in Java EE. But, to accommodate that without
tying JSF directly to the platform (a separation we have always maintained),
there should be a pluggable class instance resolver which could be satisfied
with a CDI implementation, a Spring bean implementation, etc. That way, it
would be possible to support CDI injection into objects such as phase
listeners, system event listeners, validators, converters, and so on with
the proper resolver. Basically, any time JSF accesses something w/o the use
of the EL, it should go through this instance resolver.

In a way, this complements the EL resolver, which is already a nice
mechanism for hooking into different component models.

Registered Linux User #231597